Monday, May 16, 2011

Don Lemon


The former Channel 5 reporter/anchor and current CNN anchor is coming out in his upcoming book "Transparent." Bill Carter interviewed him, and I have to say, I'm rooting for Lemon even though I'm not a big fan. Here's a little excerpt...
“I’m scared,” he said in a telephone interview. “I’m talking about something that people might shun me for, ostracize me for.”

Even beyond whatever effect his revelation might have on his television career, Mr. Lemon said he recognized this step carried special risk for him as a black man.

“It’s quite different for an African-American male,” he said. “It’s about the worst thing you can be in black culture. You’re taught you have to be a man; you have to be masculine. In the black community they think you can pray the gay away.”
He's right, and that's why I admire his courage in coming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment